The History of Oak Grove Baptist
Oak Grove Baptist Church traces its beginning to the establishment of a Sunday School in the Oak Grove School building in 1912. Worship services were held in connection with the Sunday School, the preaching being done by the pastors of Brushy Fork, Poplar Grove and Three Forks Churches. Rev. L.A. Wilson led in the first revival and a large number were baptized.
In a few years the attendance and interest had grown until a church was constituted on March 17, 1916 and named after the school and community—Oak Grove. Elders L.J. McGinnis and E.M. Gragg led in the organization. The charter members were Mr. and Mrs. B.A. Foster, Grace Foster, Sue Greene, E.C. Hodges, Mr. and Mrs. Letcher Barnes, Stewart Barnes, Polly Adams, Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Hodges, Mr. And Mrs. John Hodges, Mr. and Mrs. J.G. Hodges, Mrs. P.C. Wyke, and Dave Hodges.
The following have served as pastors of Oak Grove Church in its 95 year history: E.M. Gragg, 1916-’17; W.A. Pennel, 1917-’19; E.C. Hodges, 1920-’23; F.C. Watts, 1924-’27; W.D. Ashley, 1928-’30; F.C. Watts, 1931-’38, G.A. Hamby, 1939-’46; C.O. Vance, 1947-’57; W. Walter Jones, 1957-’63; E.S. Morgan, 1963-’67; Fritz D. Hemphill, 1967-’71; Fred W. Reese, 1972-’77; Max Furr, 1977-’79; Gary Byrd, 1979-’81; Ed Stines, 1982-’83; L.V. Couch, 1983-’84; Tony Cartledge, 1985-’88; Steve Goss, 1990-’97; Dr. Ken Craig, 1998-’05; Scott Courtney, 2006-’10. Interim pastors include Eugene Byrd, Roy Carroll, C.O. Vance, and Dr. David E. Browning.
The annex building (Church Offices/old parsonage) was built in the 1950’s when Rev. C.O. Vance became the first full time pastor. Also, an additional education building was built and later dedicated in 1970 under the leadership of Fritz Hemphill. A new parsonage was completed in late 1984.
Oak Grove Baptist Church continues to maintain its tradition of seeking to minister with the love of Christ to the needs of the Oak Grove and surrounding communities.